转载自 Michael J. Black’s Blog: Novelty in Science A guide for reviewers
- 公众意义上对Novelty的广泛解释，常会包含：complexity, difficulty, technicality
- Novelty v.s. Complexity:
- 误解： “The idea is very simple. It just changes one term in the loss and everything else is the same as prior work.”
- value simplicity over unnecessary complexity
- A simple idea can be important. But it can also be trivial.
- Novelty v.s. Difficulty:
- 误解 “technical details must be difficult”
- Novelty v.s. Surprise
- 误解 “The idea is obvious because the authors just combined two well known ideas.”
- an idea is obvious after you’ve heard it, reviewers quickly assume it isn’t novel
- 对reviewer的意见： the novelty, however, must be evaluated before the idea existed.
- Novelty v.s. Technical Novelty
- A new dataset can be novel if it does something no other dataset has done，
- A new use of an old method can be novel if nobody ever thought to use it this way.
- Replacing a complex algorithm with a simple one provides insight.
- Novelty v.s. Usefulness of value
- reviewer的误解 “The authors describe a new method but I don’t know why anyone needs this.”， Lack of utility